Monday, January 19, 2009

Poured out like a drink-offering

Yesterday, in the passage for my message, Philippians 2:12-18, My eyes focused on Paul’s statement in verse 17, But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you.
Am I ready to be poured out like a drink offering? It is easy to think so if things turn out ok, the cancer in my brain is restrained or diminished. But what if it isn’t. Right now, other than frequent tiredness and occasional headaches, I am feeling healthy and vibrant. The tiredness is not debilitating. I am able to carry out my full responsibilities at church and home. The headaches seem to be related to bright lights. But what if the cancer returns and I find myself facing excruciating headaches or other very painful reactions? I have been at the bedside of those in that circumstance when they have told me that they had thoughts that they never would have had. I hope to be faithful to the end but I have never walked this road before.

so what is a drink offering? A drink offering was wine poured out on a sacrificial altar in combination with other offerings.
Paul uses this sacrificial idea also in 1 Timothy 4:5-8. You, however, be self-controlled in all things, endure hardship, do an evangelist’s work, fulfill your ministry. 6 For I am already being poured out as an offering, and the time for me to depart is at hand. 7 I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith! 8 Finally the crown of righteousness is reserved for me. The Lord, the righteous Judge, will award it to me in that day – and not to me only, but also to all who have set their affection on his appearing. A drink offering was a symbolic way of illustrating total heart dedication.

Paul is reminding the Philippians that whatever sacrifice occurs on his part, whether physical suffering or death, it is all worthwhile because it is their faith being evidenced and exercised as an offering to God. Paul’s drink offering is his willing sacrifice on their behalf. Paul has learned the essence of Jesus’ earthy ministry, for even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many (Mark 10:45). Selflessness is the essence of what God’s kind of love is all about. Being poured out like a drink offering is a way of saying, God my life is at your disposal. Whatever you choose to do with me to accomplish your purposes, I am available and willing to be an offering to accomplish those purposes for your honor and to benefit others. If my departure is for your good, then my joy is complete. Paul is appealing to the Philippians to carry on regardless of his outcome. So you too, my fellow members of the Southwood community, rejoice over what God is doing in our midst. I would like this to turn out that I have many more years to take care of my family and many more years of ministry. I have so much yet to do. more people to reach with the good news of the Gospel. More people to encourage with the grace of God. so much more to do with my family. As good as heaven is, right now, I would prefer to finish more work on earth. I know heaven will be great, but I can’t think about rejoicing in heaven while I know my family will be3 greaving on earth. My confidence is still in the goodness of God who always does right.
So my fellow believers at Southwood, keep pressing on, taking God at His Word; trusting in the truth and reality spelled out in His Word and not your feelings and circumstances. Continue to build a solid biblically-minded community and let our area know that this is a place for them to find God’s answers to living out His joy. My life has and will continue to be offered so that this can happen. So, let’s press on for His honor and glory.

No comments: