Friday, April 17, 2009

A note of encouragement to my congregation

I can’t thank you enough for your support through this time of my surgery and medical needs. I would be understating things if I didn’t acknowledge that this has been one of my most challenging hours. But through this have also been some very encouraging and deepening times with the Lord and I don’t want to miss the opportunity to convey some of those to you and enourage you likewise.

It seems that it often takes times of being stretched even to brokenness that God proves His sufficiency and that has been true. The sole sufficiency of trusting in God alone and the reality of His presence has been a constant encouragement. I don’t think I have valued people as much as I do now. Your support and prayers are highly valued. You are highly valued.

How does one get ready for times like this? Let me offer two passages and a word of practical application.

(Rom 8:28-29 NIV) And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. {29} For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

(Phil 2:12-13 NIV) Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, {13} for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

Before you run off and add more to your to do list on trying to correct spiritual deficiencies in your life, I really want to encourage you to camp on Phil 2:13 and Rom 8:29 and by faith daily reflect on the God-side of what He is doing. You have an inseparable relationship with someone who is at work in your life and loves you unconditionally and inseparably. Count on Him to be doing His work in you. You are not alone in this process and guess who is going to be more faithful. You and I don’t have the capacity to do this without His help. Taking time each day will keep your mind and heart focused in the right direction.

I came back from vacation last August, highly motivated to gear us up for a new level of focusing on our vision. I was delighted that the leadership owned the vision as I believe is still the case. That vision hasn’t changed. We are still seeking to build a community to reach a community but I have added some additional words for clarification. We are building a growing biblical community that seeks to graciously connect the transforming power of Jesus Christ with our unchurched community. Building a biblical community means we are anchored on God’s truth and seeking to build relationships, a major theme in the Bible. We have a whole community around us that needs to know the power of God in their life and grow in community. I can’t think of a better place. Churches don’t need a lot of programs but a simple ministry with a focused mission.

Overarching all that has been happening is what God is doing in all of us. We need to stay focused on what He is trying to accomplish and follow His lead.


Pastor Joel

No comments: