Saturday, June 27, 2009

Trial preparation

How do you prepare yourself for dealing with a life threatening brain tumor and the many associated consequences, effects, the emotional, mental, relational trials? In many ways there is no way to forsee the impact on your life. Who can know this path until you have been there? Fortunately for those of us who have chosen to make Jesus Christ Savior, Lord of our life, and lover of our soul, we have some anchor points for our heart and mind.

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess.
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. (Hebrews 4:14-16)

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (Hebrews 12:2-3)

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (James 1:2-4)

It is nice to think about having joy in the midst of trials until you are in the midst of trials. I don’t know of anyone who handles “in the midst of” perfectly. Read the heart of the psalmists as they grapple with what they know compared to how they feel.

I have a dream. I would like to run, some day, the 1500 meters race in the senior Olympics. 1500 meters was not my distance in college and my best mile time was 4 min. 44 sec. I think I still have my long distance runner’s heart (low 40's) and still have strength in my legs. One of my doctors has encouraged me to aim at my dream. I think I am doing that when I walk briskly and hike up steps two-at-a-time before me radiation treatments each day. It has also been a good fortitude boost in addition to helping oxygenate my blood for better radiation results. Getting ready for life’s test, and being able to handle them with joy is like training for the 1500 meters. It requires daily exercise and conditioning so that when the race starts, you have the necessary conditioning to do well.

I believe it is the same for our spiritual, emotional, mental life as we seek to live life in a way the honors the Lord. I would encourage you to begin your day and end your day with some contact with the truth and reality found in God’s Word. I believe I can safely say that if you begin your day with the local newspaper and the 11:00 pm news that you will be in trouble when trials hit. The Daily Bread [link to RBC's online Daily Bread]has always been a good resource but let me also encourage you to focus more on the Scripture for each day. Only God’s Word provides the truth and reality that will anchor your life. As you reflect on God’s Word, ask Him to show you where you need to work to bring your life into conformity with His truth and reality. And watch Him go to work even when His work hurts. But the results are filled with His kind of satisfaction and joy.

When I think of crossing the finish line in the 1500 meters and breaking the tape, I weep with joy and gratitude because I know it will have been the empowering, gracious strength of God and to His credit. It will be the same when we cross the finish line for eternity and are finally in His presence. This is the joy that Jesus kept in mind as He enduring the cross.

Daily exercise is no guarantee that you will sail through trials but you will do better than if you do nothing. Your heart and mind will be conditioned to cry out in the right direction and in spite of wandering you will keep coming back to His enduring and gracious strength. Without Him we can accomplish nothing of eternal significance.

Okay, fellow pilgrims, let’s get on with our training. May you find joy in Him each day.

No comments: