Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Continuing Practice of Faith

Continuing Practice of Faith

How do you apply faith in challenging situations?
I certainly would not claim to be an expert. Like the medical field, I am still practicing. So here is what I am practicing. I have previously posted how helpful Isaiah 40:21-31 has been to me. Philippians 4:13 has also been helpful. (Philippians 4:13) I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Part of the challenge is to find the balance between being and doing. Our tendency is to practice in the direction of doing. We more easily practice as human doings rather than human beings. Human doings like the measurability of doing. You can check off reading the bible 1 hour each morning, attending church, serving in a specific service, etc. “Check-off Christianity” is easy to measure. Inner character is harder to measure but a much more accurate measure of character. Jesus indicates as much: (Matthew 15:19) For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.

The definition of Faith that I have edited from Ken Boa has been helpful. The definition of faith connected to Philippians 4:13 would go like this: I can do everything through Him who give me strength. This is my choice to make this statement from God’s Word my truth and reality regardless of my feelings, circumstances, or the pressures of my culture. Making the right choices and praying this verse back to God is helpful in the application of faith. Paying goes something like this: “God, I choose to trust in your strength for my needs to day. I ask for you gracious help through my tiredness, the trembling of my hands and the trembling of my legs, my lack of appetite. Help me to remember to honor you in everything today.”

May you discover the deep satisfaction of seeking to please God in this practice of faith.

No comments: