Thursday, February 12, 2009

Faith Assignment - Anger

How does someone who lives by faith overcome anger? This is my first application of the Faith Assignment, my congregation, that I handed out last Sunday. Rehearse the faith definition. Hopefully by now you have it somewhere convenient (3 x 5 card, printed off); copied someway so that you have regular access to it.
Faith is believing God and His Word regardless of my feelings or circumstances. In other words, is what God says shapes the reality of my life or do I allow feelings and circumstances shape my reality? Feelings and circumstances are real things but our lives do not need to be managed by them. God has set us free so that we can live according to His call on our life.

Here is a verse we have covered in Philippians that describes your new reality as a believer:
If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion (Philippians 2:1) - Remember the thrust of the logic in this passage is such that it is a condition that is assumed to be true. You are united with Christ, you do have comfort from His love, you do have fellowship with the Spirit. Count on it. Faith gives you focused trust on the secure character of God and how He has defined life for you.
Okay, now we are ready to address anger. Can I justify anger? Sure, if you have the perfection that Jesus brought to life. All of us can find ways to justify anger but James doesn’t leave us any room for our argument.
for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. (James 1:20)

What usually happens with anger? I have an expectation that is not being met. It may be my time, it may be what I believe is deserved treatment (work, in traffic, in the check out line) and I justify my reaction with anger. What if I thought differently according to faith? Is not God in control and does He not have my best interests at heart? (Romans 8:28) So trust in God’s oversight of all my circumstances and do not lean on my own understanding (Proverbs 3:5-6). And allow my fellowship with the Spirit to express His fruit, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).

You say, this is hard to do. Absolutely. This requires reliance upon the internal, supernatural, and gracious work of God, something we may not be in the habit of drawing upon. If we have been operating in our natural self for a long time, it will take time for the paradigm shift to play a ruling influence in our life. You have to start somewhere. Start by focusing on the definition of faith and asking God to help you remember that He has defined who you are. Refuse to allow your feelings and circumstances to dictate your reality. God has rescued you from this and has given you a new way of living.
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. (John 10:10)
n Trust Jesus and the truth of His words. Let me know how you are doing. More to follow.
Pastor Joel

No comments: