Saturday, February 21, 2009

Reading List











What am I reading these days. Here's a brief list of what I have read over the last several months or have still to read. You can see there is some history, some cultural reflection, some classic enriching reading plus anything else that I can get my hands on or find time to read.

Augustine to Freud, Dr. Ken Boa: along with my listing of many of his lectures which you can find at his web site: www.kenboa.org I have also picked up this book based on his PhD in philosophy at Oxford University. You can find the essence of this book at his website. [Amazon]




The Rise of Evangelicalism; The Age of Edwards, Whitefield and the Wesleys by Mark Noll is the first in a series, A History of Evangelicalism.
I started into the series as a follow-up on my reading of
A History of Christian Theology by Roger Olsen. [Amazon]

The Expansion of Evangelicalism: The Age of More, Wilberforce, Chalmers and Finney (second in the History of Evangelicalism series) [Amazon]

The Dominance of Evangelicalism; The Age of Spurgeon and Moody by David Bebbington (third in the series History of Evangelicalism, two more yet to be published) [Amazon]





From Dawn to Decadence by Jacques Barzun is a book I have had on my shelf for awhile and have wanted to read as a continuing awareness of our Western History. [Amazon]


Barbarian Invasion; From Paganism to Christianity by Richard Fletcher continues my history reading from J. Barzun's history. [Amazon]


The Birth of the Modern; World Society 1815-1830 by Paul Johnson continues history from Fletcher. I have read several historical works by Paul Johnson. [Amazon]


History of the Arab Peoples by Albert Hourani was recommended to me by a professor at Rice University and someone I have know for almost 50 years. I highly respect his opinion. [Amazon]


Darwin's Century; Evolution and the Men who Discovered it by Loren Eiseley. This is a book I have wanted to read and also has been on my shelf for awhile. I am intrigued by what thought process and cultural influences led to athe acceptance of Darwin's theory. [Amazon link]


Signs of Intelligence; Understanding Intelligent Design, edited by William A. Dembski & James M Kushiner. William Dembski is a mathematician and philosopher, as well as editor of Mere Chreation and author of The Design Inference. What a nice combination of academic specialties. [Amazon Link]


Christian Perfection; Devotional Reflections on the Christian Life by the seventeenth-century mystic, Francois Fenelon. I first picked up on this enduring classic work when I listened to a series of presentations by Ken Boa on Great Books at the bible.org web site. [Amazon Link]



The New Faithful; Why Young Adults are Embracing Christian Orthodoxy by Colleen Carroll. I picked this up at some bookstore awhile ago in their reduced price books and thought then it would be an interesting read. It has been in parts, still interesting. [Amazon link]

Enough for right now ... off to do some more reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

William Dembski is a mathematician and philosopher, as well as editor of Mere MAGIC and author of The MAGIC Inference. What a nice combination of academic specialties.