Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Managing thoughts: no anxiety

I have been addressing for several weeks the issue of managing our thoughts from the stimulus I received from Carolyn Leaf’s book, Who Switched Off My Brain?
Like you, my thought life is active. For that we can be thankful, sometimes, because it is an indication that we have a brain. But like you, I am not always pleased at the direction of my thoughts: anxious, irritated, impatient, angry, etc. And new a new passage that brings even more conviction.

(Philippians 4:4-9) {4) Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! {5} Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. {6} Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. {7} And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. {8} Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. {9} Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me--put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Paul doesn’t leave any moment uncovered in the Philippians thought life when he uses comprehensive terms like, “rejoice always;” “gentleness evident to all;” “not anxious about anything.” Don’t I have any room to let my thoughts run down any rabbit trail any way that I want? Think about it. What emotions, attitudes, behaviors are being developed? And most of all, Who do you want to please the most (2 Corinthians 5:9)? For whom do you exist? Who is at work on your heart moving you in a direction to bring Him glory? Before whom will you someday appear for acknowledgment of what you have allowed Him to do in your life (2 Corinthians 5:10)?

The first help in Philippians 4:4-9 comes in verse 8. This verse was a tremendous help to my during my time in the navy. Whenever we had been in port for a few days, the men under my command and in my watch area would reiterate their shore activities, and it wasn’t good. There were things shared, vocabulary used that had the potential of filling my mind with trash. I had to find a way to combat those thoughts and Philippians 4:8 was very helpful. Whenever trash thoughts occurred in my mind, I replaced them with healthy thoughts from verse 8: whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, praiseworthy. I became grateful that God was not only present in my life but was also present to let me know which thoughts were please and which were not pleasing to Him. Without Him, my thoughts would have run rampant if it were not for God’s presence and intervention. Here is a first step in managing thoughts in light of Philippians 4:8. When rotten thoughts come to your mind and you recognized them as such, thank God for His presence in your life and how He is reshaping your thought life. Without Him, where would you thoughts be? It frightens me sometimes and makes me grateful for His transforming presence (Romans 8:28-29). Develop true thoughts and other along the lines of verse 9 to replace the unhealthy thoughts (“toxic” in Carolyn Leavy’s words). Have a great day today seeing God at work in your life transforming thoughts, emotions, attitudes, and eventually behaviors.

(Philippians 4:4-9) {4) Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! {5} Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.

No comments: