Saturday, August 8, 2009

Why no fear?

I am keenly aware that most of us live fairly busy lives and thought lives consumed with the details and activities of the day. Those who have work and home responsibilities have enough to keep them busy from early morning to late evening. So, where do we fit in spiritual formation (the inner character development that shapes our thoughts, emotions, attitudes, and behaviors) to be more like the character of Christ and the fruit of the Spirit? My familiarity with people leads me to believe that most of us want Christlike character but don’t take the time or don’t know how. We show up on Sunday am, Saturday night, or whenever church fellowship meets, hear a convicting message, have good intentions of making changes, but on Monday, life moves on. Why isn’t spiritual formation a higher priority for us? I have some thoughts as I have been encouraging us to manage our thoughts in Philippians 4:4-9.

1. We don’t recognize the priority of pursuing eternal values. Life is ok. There are no serious problems occurring, other than the daily squabbles with kids, occasion, not-so-gentle response to our mate, irritations with co-workers, irritations at other drivers, clerks, parking lot attendants, etc. But, in general, we assume things are ok.
2. We don’t live with a real fear of God. This is the kind of fear that takes Him seriously each day and each moment of each day. We don’t recognize that we live in His presence and at any moment could be in His presence.
3. We are entrenched in a temporal value system and forget that earth is not our permanent home. Even though, we know in theory that haven is our real home, we have become comfortable in this place and heaven seems like a far off place. When you read the priority given in Proverbs of the fear of God.
(Proverbs 1:7) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
In Ecclesiastes, Solomon draws this conclusion after pursuing life in every which way.
(Eccl 12:13) Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.

As I reflected on my own attitudes and speech over this last wee and am convicted that all is not well, I asked why? Here is my assessment:
1. I have convinced myself that I want what I want and deserve, need, have rights that are more important than what God wants.
2. But it all boils down to the fact that I think my attitude and behavior at present is more important than my fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord is not relevant in my life. How can someone who is facing a serious brain tumor situation have such an attitude. I hope you realize that this is deeply painful hard work. And I think my growth issues pale to insignificance compared to many others. I hope you take encouragement from the fact that I, at least partially understand, and am also working at these hard growth issues. Today I made a renewed commitment, that by the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit to allow God to have His perfect way. Along with this is a committed recognition that I want Him to be honored in my life and speech. If I truly believe that the Lord is truly Lord of my life, then my fear for Him (respect, trust, awareness of His holy presence, awareness that someday, possibly soon, I will be in His presence) should be sufficient motivation to allow Him to work out His thought, attitude, and behavior changes.

Keep up the progress.
(Phil 4:4-8) Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! {5} Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. {6} Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. {7} And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. {8} Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
If interested, here is my list of verses that address the fear of the Lord (These verses were abstracted using eSword [www.eword.net] and searching in the NASB+ version for the Strong number, 3374, ‘yirah

(Psa 19:9) The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous.

(Psa 34:11) Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD.

(Psa 55:5) Fear and trembling have beset me; horror has overwhelmed me.

(Psa 90:11) Who knows the power of your anger? For your wrath is as great as the fear that is due you.

(Psa 111:10) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.

(Prov 1:29) Since they hated knowledge and did not choose to fear the LORD,

(Prov 2:5) then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.

(Prov 8:13) To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech.

(Prov 9:10) "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

(Prov 10:27) The fear of the LORD adds length to life, but the years of the wicked are cut short.

(Prov 14:26-27) He who fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge. {27} The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death.

(Prov 15:16) Better a little with the fear of the LORD than great wealth with turmoil.

(Prov 15:33) The fear of the LORD teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor.

(Prov 16:6) Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for; through the fear of the LORD a man avoids evil.

(Prov 19:23) The fear of the LORD leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble.

(Prov 22:4) Humility and the fear of the LORD bring wealth and honor and life.

(Prov 23:17) Do not let your heart envy sinners, but always be zealous for the fear of the LORD.

(Isa 33:6) He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is the key to this treasure.

(Isa 63:17) Why, O LORD, do you make us wander from your ways and harden our hearts so we do not revere you? Return for the sake of your servants, the tribes that are your inheritance.

(Jer 32:40) I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them, and I will inspire them to fear me, so that they will never turn away from me.

And then note that it was one of Paul’s primary motives (see 2 Corinthians 5:9-11)
(2 Cor 5:9-11) So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. {10} For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad. {11} Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade men. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience.

Enjoy what God is working into your life and out of your life. Those around you will benefit. You will have greater inner joy knowing that you are pleasing the One to whom you have been called to please.

No comments: