Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Discipline of Quietness

Yesterday I encouraged us to slow down and take time to absorb what God might be teaching us in managing our thoughts. I know how hard this is. My brain doesn’t slow down easily. But I am realizing that if I want to clearly hear what God is trying to teach me, I must slow down long enough to listen. When do you and I take the time during each day, just to listen? How do I do that? If we are going to make sure that God is the one speaking, then His Word is the most reliable source. Let’s keep it simple. Stay with Romans 12:1-2. You can read more but I recommend staying with those two verses for awhile. Use them in a time of silent reflection to allow God to speak to you about where your thoughts are drifting. I have found that taking notes in a personal journal helps me listen more attentively and capture my thoughts more accurately. As someone has said, “thoughts disentangle them selves as they pass through the finger tips.” Writing in a journal helps we see where I am and where I should be going.

Finding the time for quietness is probably the biggest challenge for most of us. But when do we make sure we are alone with the Lord so He and He alone can speak to us? This should be a necessary part of our daily life. I am convinced that He wants to spend time alone with us more than we often want to spend time with Him. The temporal demands of each day drive us too easily. If we are going to live a God-directed life, then somehow, somewhere, we must slow down long enough to listen accurately to His call on our life.

Give it a try. Note the challenges, the struggles, and the fulfillment. Worship Him, enjoy Him, trust in His good and great work in your life. In my own experience, check the posting on my family blog for Monday February 2, 2009, “Dark Night in Recovery” to see how God intervened in one of my desperate hours.

Here is your confidence: (Philippians 1:6) being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Have you memorized the definition for faith yet? [See the Gentle Answer post]Have you written it on a 3 x 5 card so that it is always accessible. Do the same with verses. 3 x 5 cards are a great memory aid. Keep pressing on. The results are wonderful. May God be worshiped and honored in your life today.

No comments: