Monday, July 27, 2009

Root of the issue

In medicine, finding the root cause of the disease can lead to a permanent solution. We all would like to see the end of a disease and enjoy freedom, remission, or relief. So it is in behavioral issues. As we have been learning, the root of behavioral issues is in our thought life. Our thought life is what the Bible frequently refers to as our heart.
(Proverbs 4:23) Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life.

When I was six, my mother took me to the doctor one Saturday morning because I had a severe stomach ache. I knew I was in trouble so as he probed my abdomen, I tied to put on my best game face. As he probed and asked if it hurt, I gamely said, “no.” Until, he probed my right side. Even thought the pain was huge, I still said, “no.” By evening, I was in the hospital having an almost ruptured appendix removed. I am glad the doctor ignored my attempted claim at no pain and made an accurate diagnosis or the results could have been disastrous. When God probes our life, do we allow the Great Physician to identify pain and lead us to correction. David invited God’s probing and diagnosis of the real root problem.
(Psa 139:23-24) Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.


Notice what David knew about God that invited this searching diagnosis.
(Psalm 139:1) O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
Read verses 2-22. David acknowledges the omniscience and omnipresence of God.
The word for ‘know’ in the Hebrew is a word for intimate knowledge. In Genesis 3:7 it is used for Adam and Eve’s new found experience of sin. In Genesis 4:1 it is used for marital, sexual intimacy. Because David trusts the probing hand of God, he invites this examination that identifies the root problem and the identification of core correction. What might be preventing you from allowing God to engage in this probing diagnosis? How have you been doing over the last few days listening to God’s probing? Is this a hard issue for you to take time and allow? Is life too busy? Are you ignoring this hoping that key thought that lead to attitudes that lead to behavior will jut magically go away? Jesus identifies the real source of our character challenge, (Mat 15:19) For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. These are what make a man 'unclean'; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him 'unclean.' " (Matthew 15:19-20)

A challenging illustration for what can happen when you don’t watch over your heart comes from one of my favorite teachers, Dr. Ken Boa. Check out his illustration in Part 18 of his wisdom series on wisdom. The illustration starts about 9 min. into the lecture.


(Matthew 15:19). Use your journal to take notes on the Physician’s diagnosis. Thoughts that are persistent are those that at the core of the problem. Use a friend, mentor, or counselor if needed. Guard your heart. It is the wellspring (source) of healthy thoughts, emotions, attitudes, and behavior. Behavior conformity to the character of Christ begins in the thought life. Don’t miss the opportunity. It will lead to real freedom and real joy! Stay tuned for more.

No comments: